BAND AND OLD BLUES DAY

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Is this a good idea?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:23 pm

YES
90%
NO
10%

Total votes: 10

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Visits to boarding houses etc are usually done on Open Days where a pupil guide will take small groups of people to see whatever they want to see - but usually only 2 houses are open to the public.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: OB DAY etc etc

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mrs C. wrote:I hope you`re not trying to suggest something - the answer would be a most definite "NO"!!

(We had snow this morning! Back to winter. But the spring flowers are almost as pretty as in Devon banks!)
Oh, go on....!!! :wink:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: OB DAY etc etc

Post by Mrs C. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:I hope you`re not trying to suggest something - the answer would be a most definite "NO"!!

(We had snow this morning! Back to winter. But the spring flowers are almost as pretty as in Devon banks!)
Oh, go on....!!! :wink:
it would take a darn sight more than a couple of people here trying to persuade me , I can tell you!!!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote:Incidently, RR - Is that a long lasting tube of trombone slide cream ?? I've heard it called many things, but never that ! Don't the Yanks call it YK, or something similar ?
Oh dear, plumbing the depths again!!

:wink: :lol:
So it IS that American brand jelly, then, Richard !!

but on a serious note, Howard, let me explain why I feel the School is having less and less interest in us 'old fogies'.

In the past, various invites to various functions, and when I contacted The Orrifice a couple of years ago to establish the date of 'The Retreat', I was told in most emphatic tones that this was now a 'Closed Event', with a strong emphasis that O.B's were now NOT welcome.

Out of the blue, (excuse the expression), I received a barrage of post from Horsham which all seemed to be of the begging-bowl variety. (Surprise -surprise !)

From PRIVATE conversations with several O.B's, I get the impression that they all feel the same as I, that is that the current Junta has developed, (intentionally), a strong 'Us and Them' attitude. Little wonder, then, that there seems to be quite a strong out-pouring of feelings on this site, which after all, is predominately O.B's !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

OB DAY/PARENTS DAY

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Mrs C. wrote:This happens quite effectively on Parents Days - and therefore, as suggested, if OB Day could be merged, it would "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" so to speak. I do think that certain "events" during the day could be organised by OBs - not just for OBs , but to show current pupils that OBs are still involved, and want to be involved with the school.
I was involved in a lot of discussion about Old Blues Days about 2-3 years ago. My recollection is that we were told very firmly that combining Old Blues Day and Parents Day had been tried (I think about 2-3 years previously) and that it had NOT worked, leaving everybody - school, Old Blues and parents - unhappy. This would need to be checked out very carefully before the proposal goes any further.

I would also point out in reply to the suggestions that OBs should help run OBs day that this is precisely what happened on OBs Day 2003. We had over 50 former RAF Foundationers poresent, Sir Barnes Wallis's family, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, flypast by RAF Tornadoes; attendance by an Air Chief Marshal, Old Blues art exhibition, copetitions for the children, etc. Over 400 OBs turned up. We all felt it went rather well.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I thought that day went really well too! Everyone seemed to have enjoyed it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Going back a bit, it is KY jelly JR and I have been using it for over 30 years
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Maybe my memory is fading, but I recall Old Blues Day being a major event in the calendar, when we as pupils felt that we were quite rightly "on best behaviour" for the Old Blues, best-housey-coats was dusted off, shoes shined, houses cleaned and tidied, ready for Old Blues to be impressed.....
We knew that Old Blues were partly responsible for funding our education, and hence felt a level of gratitude, and hence put in some effort.

Lunch was a packed-lunch in houses (beef & tomato pot noodle anyone?), which we had after a mock-lunch parade where we went back to house rather than lunch in dining hall - this made way for the whole dining-hall to be available for the Old Blues lunch. We never resented this as pupils...

The houses were open all day, and Old Blues could visit (I appreciate this can be more difficult now, especially for houses that are now girls houses!)

I've heard it quoted that some staff at CH feel that the pupils "should not be on-show for the Old Blues" - personally I see it as a mutual respect, a genuine interest from Old Blues in what the kids are doing, etc.

If Old Blues' days are to work, there needs to be an acknowledged and un-begrudged(?sp) effort from the school and pupils, grasping the opportunity to engage Old Blues on the main day they can visit the school......otherwise, a HUGELY missed opportunity.....

Last year was the first I'd been to since I left - I enjoyed the band-parade, sale of memorabilia, meeting the CHA Section-heads and a number of people from the Forum, having a go on the rifle range and just strolling round the school......

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Thanks Julian - I go along with every word of that!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Going back a bit, it is KY jelly JR and I have been using it for over 30 years
I knew that Mary, (the name of the product that is), but I just didn't want to upset Richard !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:Going back a bit, it is KY jelly JR and I have been using it for over 30 years
I knew that Mary, (the name of the product that is), but I just didn't want to upset Richard !
I am given to understand that he is a big boy (not from personal experience you understand).

Incidentally (and amusingly) my sister-in-law was present when one of her sons opened an 18th birthday present from his mates (who were also present) which consisted of condoms, KY and various other suggestive items. She then said with a nod and a wink "Well if you lot are staying here Mr Faulkner and I are off to bed early"

Son handed her the KY and said "Perhaps you need this more than I do"

"Oh no, we have NO need of that".

Not often a Mum gets one over on her teenage son.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Hang on hang on a moment ..... Before Hertford was closed all the girls houses were open for CHOGA days - and we enjoyed playing cricket and tennis etc agaisnt the old girls...

Where has the joy of fraternity gone? Why should there be a problem for OB's now there are girls houses??? Don't forget we are now ALL TARRED WITH THE SAME BRUSH ! WE ARE ALL CALLED OB's whether we like it or not...

I can see that 400 or so ex CH pupils descending may upset the balance of a school, however, if we each brought our own picnic, and just strolled gently around with our zimmer frames I'm sure we wouldn't be in anyones way - we could actually go on an exiat - so we didn't corrupt the minds of the innocents at school (perish the thought)

And all of you MALES talking about BAND - and MARCHING - please don't forget that we GIRLS HAD A BAND AND MARCHED TOO.....

It really feels very male orientated in here - the only other female to make a peep is Mary! (& Mrs C - although Sorry Janet you don't count as you are still there!)

I play clarinet - although my ombrsure is totally out of the window I'm sure if given notice I could annoy the neighbours and upset dogs for a good mile radius to get it back....

Please remember that Horsham I know to most of you is male orientated, be we girls have no home anymore, and need to feel welcomed and cossetted to Horsham.

Surely organisation shouldn't be that hard - we could make it an "unofficial CH Forum OB Day"......??
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jude, we can't force people to join in the thread if they don't want to (actually, apart from you, Mary and Mrs. C., eloisec has already joined in so it's not a completely male-dominated discussion).

Please don't blame us blokes if you feel that more ladies should speak their minds here - it's really not our fault!!

As for 400 or so Old Blues descending on the school - well, it worked well enough in 2003, as has already been mentioned - quite a busy day, as I remember. A Col.B reunion and the RAF involvement certainly boosted numbers.

I know what you mean about being made to feel at home in Horsham, though. If the boot was on the other foot, and we Horsham Old Blues had found ourselves having to visit Hertford for Old Blues Day, I'm not sure how easy we would have found it to make the adjustment.

That's why the forum's so good, though, isn't it? Neutral ground.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

OB DAY

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Jude,
Jude wrote:And all of you MALES talking about BAND - and MARCHING - please don't forget that we GIRLS HAD A BAND AND MARCHED TOO.....
I have been over the previous messages on this thread and canot see anywhere even the remotest suggestion that this band-oriented Old Blues Day should be either a male-exclusive or even a male-dominated event.
Jude wrote:Don't forget we are now ALL TARRED WITH THE SAME BRUSH ! WE ARE ALL CALLED OB's whether we like it or not...
Ditto. In fact, as far as I know, former girl pupils of Christ's Hospital have ALWAYS been known as Old Blues, so there is no question of it being a recent development.

I would also point out that the great majority of those who have responded with such genuine indignation to the loss of Sara Voice have, as it happens, been male Old Blues and their fury has been raised not because she was a woman but because she was a bl**dy good Manager. What is more, a number of them have, to my personal knowledge, written to the Clerk and to members of the Council to express their feelings and their support for Sara.

There may be a few "backwoodsmen" who continue to resent the participation of women in the CHA, but they are very few and far between and, almost without exception, they keep their views to themselves. The vast majority of us take considerable pride in the fact that CH is one of the most progressive co-ed schools inthe country and accept, without question, the participation of women Old Blues in the CHA. So, please don't see complications which don't exist.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Jude wrote:I can see that 400 or so ex CH pupils descending may upset the balance of a school, however, if we each brought our own picnic, and just strolled gently around with our zimmer frames I'm sure we wouldn't be in anyones way - we could actually go on an exiat - so we didn't corrupt the minds of the innocents at school (perish the thought)
It would be a bit pointless coming at a Leave Weekend as everything would be locked up. Staff do need a break now and again you know.

Whilst I sympathise with you all about the school`s apparent lack of interest in OBs - until it comes to money, and I totally support your ideas about OBs Day , I really must say again that the academic staff here have a very heavy workload, as most are engaged in far more than just their teaching. Houseparents are effectively "on duty" 24/7 for 3 weeks at a time - they all need a break, which is what Leave Weekend provides.

At the end of this Lent term it was very noticeable how worn out a lot of staff were - the extra week was just too much in a term which is always dominated by illness. They`re a conscientious lot on the whole, and not taking time off when ill, or going back to work too early does take its toll.

The point about houses being open or not is linked with Child protection etc - i think I`m right in saying that it is now school policy that no adult should be present in a boarding house without prior permission unless accompanied by a member of the staff unless they`ve been CRB checked.
On Open Days, when only 2 houses are open, and Parents Days when parents really have no reason to be in any house other than that of their offspring, staff are around most of the time, giving up yet another chance to have a bit of free time.

House Reunions seem to be fairly well supported by OBs and their families - but, as has been said elsewhere, it tends to be the older OBs who attend this sort of function. surely the idea is to try to involve younger OBs too - something CHA was aiming for under Sara.

I find myself in a rather strange position on this sort of thing. I`m not an OB, I`m not a member of staff (well , not academic staff) so I suppose I can see the situation from both sides, without feeling in any way biaised.

The suggestion I would like to make is that there possibly be an "Official Unofficial Forum Get-together" at some point so that at least people who feel they already know each other could have the opportunity to meet, rather than just 4 or 5 people at a time!! it shouldn`t be impossible to arrange something, I`m sure.

(sorry - I`m waffling...!!)