CHA - WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO US AND US TO IT?

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: OB/CHOGA/CHA etc

Post by Great Plum »

jhopgood wrote:
Jude wrote:Well I have read all the links, and looked at what is produced, and found it to be sadly lacking in anything to do with the old girls of Hertford. I was hoping to see something more about life at CH rather than adverts for books about the war, (Don't ever mention the war!) and other links which held absolutely no interest for me... Do other OLD GIRLS FROM HERTFORD (RR AND JR THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU!!!!) have similar feelings that the OB and CHA is still male dominated and we lost females are literaly lost in time?

I would be interested to hear what people say...
Vonny- you spent time at both schools - how do you feel about it?

I am beginning to feel that the only place for us forty something + is in here!
Sorry you feel that way but both Kerren and I have battled long to get Hertford Old Blues to offer articles for the Old Blue.
One thing we are clear on is that there is no discrimination and hence no separate sections for Hertford and Horsham.
I am dependant on articles to publish and what I don't get, don't go in.
I await your letter/article for the next edition.
I agree - I certainly don't think that there has been any discrimination - the CHA and the Old Blue are dependent on what the Hertford Old Girls offer...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jude wrote: (RR AND JR THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU!!!!)
Why are you dragging me into this? Have I ever tried to pass myself off as a CHOG???

I don't think I'd be very convincing......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Jude wrote: (RR AND JR THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU!!!!)
Why are you dragging me into this? Have I ever tried to pass myself off as a CHOG???

I don't think I'd be very convincing......
Lol!! I certainly would agree there! ...... but you could always try?? a matronly air might rather suit you, come to think of it, RR. I can feel a limerick hovering.
Last edited by DavebytheSea on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Whew! That's better! Got rid of that one then ..... it's deposited on the limerick thread now.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

DavebytheSea wrote:Lol!! I certainly would agree there! ...... but you could always try?? a matronly air might rather suit you, come to think of it, RR. I can feel a limerick hovering.
I'm afraid I have all the feminine charms of the late and much-lamented Bernard Bresslaw, so you're not tempting me into a spot of cross-dressing!

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Richard Ruck wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:Lol!! I certainly would agree there! ...... but you could always try?? a matronly air might rather suit you, come to think of it, RR. I can feel a limerick hovering.
I'm afraid I have all the feminine charms of the late and much-lamented Bernard Bresslaw, so you're not tempting me into a spot of cross-dressing!
What a remarkable likeness! Surely, Jude, you can have a soft spot for our Richard now? He's quite the lovable lady, after all.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

DavebytheSea wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
What a remarkable likeness! Surely, Jude, you can have a soft spot for our Richard now? He's quite the lovable lady, after all.
Oooh, cheeky!! Too long at sea, I think!

Anyway, our Bernie was pregnant in that photo! :lol:

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Back to the topic...... (not often that I say that):

The CHA Manager's job is now being advertised via the C.H. website -

http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/jobs ... anager.pdf

Perhaps we should be spreading the word......

Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Ok - so what sort of stories do you want - a potted history of a few things I have done since leaving school? I'm all at sea (Dave it must be you, JR AND RR getting me in a tizz here!)

I can send you stuff about doing the first ever all girls fly run for Charity - which I organised and was part of for Charity, the odd music and beer festival (hic) I have helped to organise, and so forth - perhaps the fly run would be a good first posting - will write it up and send to email... let me know if it's what you want!

I'm sure I recognise those faces though..........
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Richard Ruck wrote:Back to the topic...... (not often that I say that):

The CHA Manager's job is now being advertised via the C.H. website -

http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/jobs ... anager.pdf

Perhaps we should be spreading the word......
Perhaps we should be spreading a different word?

As someone has said, thios is a 12 month contract and what, realistically, can we expect anyone to acheive before they are outed in less than a year's time? IMHO first mistake

The Manager's job is said to work to the Development Director. Ouch!! This can mean anything but very easily the manager could be acting as the Development Director's yes-man, gopher, dogsbody, call it what you like. IMHO this needs rewording. He is to act as an ambassador for the CHA but is still subordinate and apparently with minimal powers.

He / she has to manage communications, events and services to members. Am I reading this correctly? Surely this is a new body - the successor to a body which nearly (if not actually) failed. Sara is said to have done a good job but anyt manager puts his/her stamp on an organisation and the opening paragraph gives minimal information and the duties hardly expand it.

I don't rate school food (even free) as much of an incentive - unless they can express that it is better than anything the Roux Bros can produce :lol: As for the sports club, when I was working it was a 12 - 18 hour day with 10 minutes for a sarnie if I was lucky. It wasn't much better for colleagues whilst my son in law works 9 to midnight for a major Yorkshire based bank.Lovely idea but for a hardworking dedicated person not really an incentive. 23 days holiday (prorata) per annum - is that competitive? I doubt it when there are companies around starting on 25 or even 30 days pa.

IMHO this advert follows the lines of a thousand others I have seen, using management gobbledegook and saying no'wt.

Here was an opportunity to really put the CHA in the limelight and to make eligible people across the country say "I must get in there" - and it fails. I am not saying that the pay should be better, that food should not be available, that sports facilities should not be available, that holiday should be curtailed - simply that the advertisement could have been made inviting.

If, Julian, you had any input into it, I'm sorry, but IMHO "could do better" is the polite way of expressing my feelings.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

sejintenej wrote:If, Julian, you had any input into it, I'm sorry, but IMHO "could do better" is the polite way of expressing my feelings.
Nope - the school/foundation has responsibility for recruitment of this role, and the board (and hence I) have not been involved.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Every time I try to look at the PDF file it crashes my pc - i guess that it's not meant for me!! lol

Bu reading through what French Dave has said - the 12 month contract is not enticing unless it has RENEWABLE to nice candidate! As I know from commuting, and IT, it takes a good 6 weeks to work out your position, 6 months to work out your job, and longer to actually do it - Hmm, it sounds as though CHA is about to undergo a change again, or even abolishment. If they only want some one for 12 months - perhaps they are trying to get an OB who is having a GAP year? But how would that help uis OB's on zimmer frames and walking sticks??

Confused...
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

CHA MANAGER

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Jude wrote:the 12 month contract is not enticing unless it has RENEWABLE to nice candidate!
The reason for the 12 month contract is simpler than you think. The Council of Almoners has only funded the CHA up to mid-2007. so they cannot advertise for a post for longer than that because they money just isn't there. I am not saying that the money won't be voted in due course, but only that it isn't there right now. That said, I agree with everything else - who would apply for a 12-month post with no firm promise that it will continue beyond that point?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

and ancillary to same - why would OBs bother to participate in something which will be so apparently short lived ?
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Sounds to me as though the CHA is about to go chuff chuff off the rails. No way except on a GAP year would I apply for such a job - there is no continuity....

Well guys and gals - it's time to gird our loins and bras and do the job ourselves!!! lets face it we have a good wrking knowledge between us of CH, the pros and cons, we don't have to go to the gym or eat ch food - we know about the outside world, and we are even getting a few younger OB's in here to temper our views..

Most things are done by committee...... so this can too!!!