CHA - WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO US AND US TO IT?

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Jude
Button Grecian

CHA - WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO US AND US TO IT?

Post by Jude »

All people who know anything about what he CHA does, if it has helped them or what it means to them.

I for one know very little about the CHA - other than it is a committee - perhaps first of all we could get some ideas from folks about their views on CHA?
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I've been reading about the CHA - the new appointments date has already passed (being the 27th February). Does anyone know if candidates are still being researched for? Does the job require you to live inthe South West?

Lots of questions - so far no answers......
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

This is what we were all thinking this time last year – anymore comments? Sorry to remove all your avatars and shorten bits – but it would have scrambled the database! Like me now, Julian asked for input to the then newly forming CHA – it’s run for a year – lets rethink and discuss it more now….

Please do a reply to this and not a quote or we will triple database space overnight on the server and it will fall over! Lol. (not)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What should the CHA be? WHAT DO U WANT IT TO BE?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: jtaylor
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:50 pm

Thought I'd add my personal thoughts on what I think the CH Association should be aiming to do (as it now seems inevitable that it will replace the CH Club etc).
I emphasise that these are my personally held beliefs, so feel free to criticise and argue with!

1. The CHA should engage with Deps/Grecians at CH.
2. They should show them the benefits of being an Old Blue, and actively joining in with the Association. They should do this by providing links to Old Blues at universities people are looking at, arranging meet-and-greet open days at the unis, via the Old Blues that are there. How better to choose a uni that to talk to Old Blues are have moved from CH to that Uni, to tell what it will be like. They should also provide work links, via an up-to-date database that is easy to access to get contacts from.
3. Membership to the CHA should be free during initial full-time education.
During this time, the CHA will need to demonstrate the benefits of membership, becoming an association that people would never consider not being part of. University links, academic support from Old Blues, careers advice and life coaching can be advised upon and links provided.
4. Once out of initial full-time education, Old Blues will be offered membership of the CHA, for a reasonable membership fee. The measure of success of the CHA would then be the take-up rate of the memership. If the CHA is providing the service that Old Blues want/need, then there will be no question of NOT taking up membership.

A voluntary organisation has a responsibility to be as professionally run as a professional business. The money that is given/paid is from donations, and hence there is a responsibility to perpetuate that giving and provide a return for the people involved. This involves the treating the members as customers, and providing what is needed to perpetuate that giving.

As Old Blues, we've all received the return for our donations - we've been educated for 7 years at a fantastic school, giving us a start in life we wouldn't otherwise have have. The CHA needs to encourage Old Blues to support the school, imaginatively engaging with Old Blues and seeking inputs of time/help/professional expertise, and not just sending Direct Debit forms in return for offers of help!

I would be interested to hear anyone else's views on this - there's a general apathy in the Old Blue community, and we need to tell the CHA what we really want from our Christ's Hospital Association.
POST IN THIS TOPIC YOUR THOUGHTS ON:
1. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM A CH ASSOCIATION?
2. WHAT DO YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE?
3. DO YOU CARE?
4. HOW MUCH WOULD U PAY?
5. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS....

Author: palgsm93
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:13 pm
Post subject: Re: What should the CHA be??

Fantastic ideas, I think you should add a poll to this.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:45 pm
Suggestions for Poll options?

Author: stoice
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:20 pm

I have to agree! I feel very let down by the 'Old Blue' links as I have often emailed them asking for contacts and advice, with no response! I also do not recieve any information on Old Blue events or the The Blue - not sure if I should still get this? I would be interested in joining it if it resembled what you have mentioned above!
Maybe a poll of would you be interested in joining? what would you want from the association? How much would you be willing to pay?

Author: eloisec
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:22 am

I fully agree too. This forum has done more to unite Old Blues (OBs) and get them conversing than anything instigated by CH since I left 10 years ago. The apathy that exists in the OB community is there because the school hasn't done enough to engage with OBs, especially those who have recently left. OBs could help the school out in the ways Julian describes, but CH seems reluctant to benefit from this obvious source of help.

On a personal note, I went back to Old Blues Day once, but found the emphasis on rugby/cricket matches, sports centre (?) and all the cliches of CH totally unappealling. Ended up meeting friends and going to the pub all day. Great fun, but not exactly strengthening ties with CH itself! Couldn't more varied activities be organised? More interaction? Not just an afterthought in a busy CH calendar!

I can't afford to give money to CH yet, but I can help out in advice/time etc. So CH should stop trying to get us to part with cash, but impart with other skills we have gained.
Rant over!________________
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94

Author: Great Plum
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:00 pm

I can't see what they can do to justify my membership (I am a member of the Club at present)

Author: JTaylor
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:22 pm

What they CAN do to justify your membership, or what they DO do to justify your membership?

Author: Hendrik
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:49 pm
you mean being part of the Old Boy Network, sorry, Old Blue Network isn't enough?
not that OBs have masonic ties or anything.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:15 pm

Well if they do Hendrik, I haven't been offered the mystic handshake!
What would they have to do? Well, they need to improve the Blue - some help on jobs would be nice and careers too...
Also, decent advance warning of meals/ reunions/ OB Day etc...
And finally the chance of having a meal withuot having to pay £80 for it in London (Founder's Day Meal)
Apart from that, what are Old PuPils organisations meant to do?

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:40 pm

The careers network exists - anecdotally just doesn't seem accessible, or responsive, in its current form. Hence part of the motivation for the Careers section of this forum
Any suggestions on how we can get people pro-actively publishing events on this forum? Would make a good point of contact.
And as for founders day - it's always been the money that's put me off, and because Founder's Day wasn't a big-deal at CH when I was there, it never suddenly became one when I left!
Beating Retreat was always more of a draw in the first few years after I left, not a big expensive meal in London!

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:55 pm
Beating Retreat was always more fun - and then down to the Bax Castle afterwards...
Perhaps we could have a page, a home page perhaps with all upcoming events...
Mythought is for the CHA or Club or whatever it will be called is they should have a database of all members and their interests so that if there is a Band day they should contact all old members in the band etc.

Author: eloisec
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:10 pm
The CH Club/whatever did once compile a list of ex-band members for a Band Association, but nothing ever happened, and I note it's been taken off the clubs on oldblues.com
I agree with making lists on Old Blues interests, and therefore making events that directly appeal to particular groups of Old Blues, instead of posh dinners and rugby matches.
Music must be an obvious example, not just for the band but for the choir and orchestra too. Surely there could be more joint concerts with present pupils, or just getting together for informal concerts etc followed by a few (ahem) drinks
Just an idea!

Author: Hendrik
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:58 pm

I think matt hit the nail on the head, really (see above posts).
Besides, this forum has done more in a few months than any CH-sanctioned organisation could pull off in a decade.
At which point I would like to thank Julian for all the hard work he's put into all this (and for free!). You legend.
Come to think of it; Julian, why don't you organise a dinner from this BB? (you can delegate tasks, obviously) You can post a thread on it in 'general chat' and PM everyone just to make sure. It would be inexpensive, well communicated (and well in advance) and we could even vote on a poll to decide where! what do people think?
Assuming London is best for geographical reasons, Horsham way for obvious reasons. Though Oxfordshire would suit me more than fine as it happens.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:24 pm
Good plan Hendrik - I would be well up for anything like that - this forum has shown us exactly what can be acheieved easily and without not too much effort...
Last edited by Jude on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Do I get extra points for it being such an incredibly long post??? (Just looking at the total loss of buttons on my Winnie the Pooh Pj's (held together with a nappy pin - see Mary some things you never grow out of!!).. I'm so glad to have made it to Deputy Grecian (I have no idea what that is by the way.... ) my excuse is we didn't have things like that/this at Hertford!
:lol: 8) :oops:
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: CHA - WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO US AND US TO IT?

Post by jtaylor »

Jude wrote:All people who know anything about what he CHA does, if it has helped them or what it means to them.

I for one know very little about the CHA - other than it is a committee - perhaps first of all we could get some ideas from folks about their views on CHA?
The CHA isn't a committee, it's the whole organisation which we are all part of. I think you're meaning the CHA Advisory Board when you say committee? That's there to advise and support the CHA Management team (Sara/Wendy) and the school/foundation in the direction and activities of the CHA.

(I've reformatted it a little - was somewhat unreadable as it was. Better practice is to link to the existing topic, rather than reproduce it all here though)
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Well I must confess that I have been very happy with the way the CHA has workd over the last year - there seems to have been more things for the YOBs to do and the carol concert was a triumph!

I also like the New 'Old Blue' and the websites!

Good stuff so far!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Sorry Julian - but I don't know how to link this topic with the one from last year, and all I was trying to do was to get peoples minds thinking and trying to work out what it all means -
CHA - means only a website with a few topcs to me - does it run parallel to the Old Blue / CHOGA (that is no longer) how many groups do we all need?

I see from Plum that they organised the carol service - but that is organised by the school anyway surely? I don't really understand where CHA fits in with the other sites (which I have visited)

Thank you for reformatting it - I wasn't sure how much to cut out re each persons identity.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Jude wrote:Sorry Julian - but I don't know how to link this topic with the one from last year, and all I was trying to do was to get peoples minds thinking and trying to work out what it all means -
CHA - means only a website with a few topcs to me - does it run parallel to the Old Blue / CHOGA (that is no longer) how many groups do we all need?

I see from Plum that they organised the carol service - but that is organised by the school anyway surely? I don't really understand where CHA fits in with the other sites (which I have visited)

Thank you for reformatting it - I wasn't sure how much to cut out re each persons identity.
It wasn't a carol service at the school - it was a carol concert held at St Andrew's church in Holborn, with an Old Blue chior (me and Julian included!)

The CHA is a replacemtn, amalgamation of the CH Club and the CHOGA and will contiune with the same services they offered and many more to come...
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

So the £25 I poaid when I left and got my badge - does that cover me for the new (yet another amalgamated) CHA?

Plum, Julian etc you have to realise that until Mary got me into this Forum I didn't want anything to do with CH - after my and my sons time there, so I dropped everything entirely - so I am very dumb about these matters which are apiece of cake to you -
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

There's a short news item about the CHA and what constitutes a member on the main site.

And there's lots of interesting content in The Old Blue which is the CHA's magazine. In case you didn't get a copy, it's available for download in PDF format.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Jude wrote:So the £25 I poaid when I left and got my badge - does that cover me for the new (yet another amalgamated) CHA?

Plum, Julian etc you have to realise that until Mary got me into this Forum I didn't want anything to do with CH - after my and my sons time there, so I dropped everything entirely - so I am very dumb about these matters which are apiece of cake to you -
Jude, the CHA is free :)

Every old blue is a member...
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

As I understand it, CHOGA joined the CH Club, with all members becoming life-time members of the club.
Then, when the Club closed and the CHA was formed all members of the club became automatic members of the CHA.
The CHA is free membership.

I only got involved around the time the CH Club was closing, setting up this forum and hence "raising my head above the parapet" and being invited onto the board..........

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

jtaylor wrote:As I understand it, CHOGA joined the CH Club, with all members becoming life-time members of the club.
Then, when the Club closed and the CHA was formed all members of the club became automatic members of the CHA.
The CHA is free membership.

J
Julian, you are absolutely correct. Kerren Simmonds was President of CHOGA and on the Board of the CH Club and arranged that all CHOGA members, irrespective of whether they were life members or not, became life members of the CH Club, and the balance of the funds was passed to the club. Their closing balance sheet was published in a recent Blue.
CHOGA ceased to exist.
When the club closed its doors, all former CHC members automatically became members of the CHA, along with all Old Blues who were not members of the CH Club.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Jude
Button Grecian

OB/CHOGA/CHA etc

Post by Jude »

Well I have read all the links, and looked at what is produced, and found it to be sadly lacking in anything to do with the old girls of Hertford. I was hoping to see something more about life at CH rather than adverts for books about the war, (Don't ever mention the war!) and other links which held absolutely no interest for me... Do other OLD GIRLS FROM HERTFORD (RR AND JR THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU!!!!) have similar feelings that the OB and CHA is still male dominated and we lost females are literaly lost in time?

I would be interested to hear what people say...
Vonny- you spent time at both schools - how do you feel about it?

I am beginning to feel that the only place for us forty something + is in here!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: OB/CHOGA/CHA etc

Post by jhopgood »

Jude wrote:Well I have read all the links, and looked at what is produced, and found it to be sadly lacking in anything to do with the old girls of Hertford. I was hoping to see something more about life at CH rather than adverts for books about the war, (Don't ever mention the war!) and other links which held absolutely no interest for me... Do other OLD GIRLS FROM HERTFORD (RR AND JR THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU!!!!) have similar feelings that the OB and CHA is still male dominated and we lost females are literaly lost in time?

I would be interested to hear what people say...
Vonny- you spent time at both schools - how do you feel about it?

I am beginning to feel that the only place for us forty something + is in here!
Sorry you feel that way but both Kerren and I have battled long to get Hertford Old Blues to offer articles for the Old Blue.
One thing we are clear on is that there is no discrimination and hence no separate sections for Hertford and Horsham.
I am dependant on articles to publish and what I don't get, don't go in.
I await your letter/article for the next edition.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)