Old Blues who have recently graduated - are they alienated?

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

... and a test ( recognising authentic CH tea comes to mind...) to ensure no interlopers !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Name the School cat to test for interlopers :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

englishangel wrote:I thought you had other uses for paper bags.

Boom, boom!!

I have trouble naming the staff that taught me, never mind the school cat! I see how the selection process works now .... New Labour would never approve. I'm being discriminated against because I'm a dizzy old t*rt.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Old Blues who have recently graduated - are they aliens?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

we will have to all arrive in trench coats with hats, wear sunglasses even if it's raining, and have a copy of OB sticking out with a pink sticker for the girls in here and a blue sticker for the boys in here - and maybe a carnation in our button holes??

The imagination boggles!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

cj wrote:Old Blues who have recently graduated - are they aliens?
No dear - it's us the oldies who are!! After a while they give you little blue pills to go with the two pink ones and the white one... after that you don't care as long as you get your shot of alcohol each day!

Aliens indeed! They probably are 'cos they know the cat's name - I haven't a clue so that's me out paper bag, secret handshake etc.. drat it, just as I was feeling part of the group! :evil: :twisted:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jude wrote:, however, I did joint the Bath and West Old blues - and went to 2 dinners with them in Bath - I was not only the only female at one event, but junior by about 100 years. So I quit that too.
My experience in the years shortly after I came back to the UK was not dissimilar OK so like me everyone was male, but I was 23 and the rest were using walking sticks - that is the ones not using zimmer frames. Talk about frozen out - I would have been made to feel less of an interloper if any member or staff member had spoken to me!

I never attended another CH function as a result.

The situation now? I seriously wonder. We have OBs spread across the country (and more than a few abroad) with their nearest OB possibly a generation different in age with totaly different interests and experiences.
Julian has mentioned that this forum is not creating the cross-fertilisation of training / employment opportunities that he hoped for ( hope I understood him correctly) but this forum demonstrates clearly the width of interests, backgrounds, cultural norms etc. of this relatively small cross-section. I would recommend somebody I personally know to a position that I know he or she could handle; if I have never met a person how can I make that recommendation? The best that I can see in that area is to be an employment register and source of contacts.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

sejintenej wrote:
Jude wrote:, however, I did join the Bath and West Old blues - and went to 2 dinners with them in Bath - I was not only the only female at one event, but junior by about 100 years. So I quit that too.
My experience in the years shortly after I came back to the UK was not dissimilar OK so like me everyone was male, but I was 23 and the rest were using walking sticks - that is the ones not using zimmer frames. Talk about frozen out - I would have been made to feel less of an interloper if any member or staff member had spoken to me!

I never attended another CH function as a result.

The situation now? I seriously wonder. We have OBs spread across the country (and more than a few abroad) with their nearest OB possibly a generation different in age with totaly different interests and experiences.
Julian has mentioned that this forum is not creating the cross-fertilisation of training / employment opportunities that he hoped for ( hope I understood him correctly) but this forum demonstrates clearly the width of interests, backgrounds, cultural norms etc. of this relatively small cross-section. I would recommend somebody I personally know to a position that I know he or she could handle; if I have never met a person how can I make that recommendation? The best that I can see in that area is to be an employment register and source of contacts.
Blimey David - I hadn't realised we were in here for cross-fertilisation....
as I am half French can I come with you? You are sort of my age, have a bit of humour - but how can we cross fertilise???? All I know is that Mary and a few others have now informed me that I cannot get pregnant by sitting on a dustbin lid, so I feel happy about that (I don't have a dustbin, we get black bags, and green recycle boxes..)

Ok, my shredded wheat hasn't gone to my tummy yet let alone my brain!
Last edited by Jude on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jude wrote: however, I did joint the Bath and West Old blues -
I prefer to joint chickens and turkeys. If capons and old blues are more your style then that is up to you :D

Since you brought up the subject, which linked excellently to food, I note that our latest member (welcome to him and his gnashers) is the lovely Fru t bun
Jude wrote:
as I am half French can I come with you?
only if you can speak Oc (as in Langued'oc) as opposed to Langue d'oui though Catalan and patois would help. I was surprised that over a million can speak Oc - they even have masses in the language in our area and it is a subject in the local lycee.

Edit, (just noticed) - I hope your verb indicated travel .......
Jude wrote:You are sort of my age, have a bit of humour - but how can we cross fertilise???? All I know is that Mary and a few others have now informed me that I cannot get pregnant by sitting on a dustbin lid, so I feel haqppy about that (I don't have a dustbin, we get black bags, and green recycle boxes..)

Do you really believe Mary? Perhaps she is trying to get you into a delicate situation and think what your mistress would say about that. (Not quite sure how to write that last sentence without someone misunderstanding it oine way or t'other :x )

Got plenty of old bags around here - white though (we are a bit colour-conscious as to how we dispose of waste around here) and the recycle boxes are yellow and red. This latter makes sense - nature's danger colours and the Indonesians (or whoever it is imports our rubbish) should be suitably warned as to what they might find in the contents.

Shredded Wheat in the brain - why not use Brillo pads to scour the dirt like everyone else?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:
Jude wrote: however, I did joint the Bath and West Old blues -
I prefer to joint chickens and turkeys. If capons and old blues are more your style then that is up to you :D

Since you brought up the subject, which linked excellently to food, I note that our latest member (welcome to him and his gnashers) is the lovely Fru t bun
Jude wrote:
as I am half French can I come with you?
only if you can speak Oc (as in Langued'oc) as opposed to Langue d'oui though Catalan and patois would help. I was surprised that over a million can speak Oc - they even have masses in the language in our area and it is a subject in the local lycee.

Edit, (just noticed) - I hope your verb indicated travel .......
Jude wrote:You are sort of my age, have a bit of humour - but how can we cross fertilise???? All I know is that Mary and a few others have now informed me that I cannot get pregnant by sitting on a dustbin lid, so I feel haqppy about that (I don't have a dustbin, we get black bags, and green recycle boxes..)

Do you really believe Mary? Perhaps she is trying to get you into a delicate situation and think what your mistress would say about that. (Not quite sure how to write that last sentence without someone misunderstanding it oine way or t'other :x )

Got plenty of old bags around here - white though (we are a bit colour-conscious as to how we dispose of waste around here) and the recycle boxes are yellow and red. This latter makes sense - nature's danger colours and the Indonesians (or whoever it is imports our rubbish) should be suitably warned as to what they might find in the contents.

Shredded Wheat in the brain - why not use Brillo pads to scour the dirt like everyone else?
I notice that this was posted at 6.14 pm GMT + 1 i.e. 7.14 French time and can only infer that the writer had partaken of a pre-prandial tincture. (I could not possibly copy all those misplaced consonants - and vowels - they make me quite nauseous.)

As I have partaken of an evening bottle of South Africa's finest white (I had fish for dinner) I am in no state to comment.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Hmmm - so now I abound with questions......

I trust Mudwife Mary - plus I have taken extra precaustions against getting pregnant (called living like a nun etc...), so anything remotely like a pregnancy would be deemed a miracle - ergo - I am a shrine?

With Mary drinking Africa out of it's alcohol, what do they have to drink?

And as for joints of any kind, if they ache rest them, else don't touch - and being a vegetarian I don't touch the joints of any old fowl, although there is a quaint law here in that if you hit a pheasant, you may not touch it, but keep on driving, however the person who follows may pick it up, hang it and eat it.... so if you are of a hung meat persaussion, then you need to go out in pairs....

where did the thread actually go??????

I can see J groaning, and thinking these "******* need cutting and trimming themselves" as he cuts , edits and separates yet another thread... poor Julian....

ho hum - I have eaten my shredded wheat, yummy, fed the felines, and am going to rest my aching joints and read for a while.....
ciao
x
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:
sejintenej wrote:
only if you can speak Oc (as in Langued'oc) as opposed to Langue d'oui though Catalan and patois would help.

(Not quite sure how to write that last sentence without someone misunderstanding it oine way or t'other :x )

I notice that this was posted at 6.14 pm GMT + 1 i.e. 7.14 French time and can only infer that the writer had partaken of a pre-prandial tincture.
Unfortunately I was stone-cold sober. The omission of a space in Langue d'oc was deliberate - I pondered for seconds, and then repondered for a few more minutes until after hours I immediately decided that the uninitiated would not understand the reference to their favourite source of quality plonk if I typed it a la francaise.

As for "oine" I was salivating over the thought of some lovely caramelised oignons, cooked to perfection before adding sticky brown sugar :lol:

englishangel wrote: (I could not possibly copy all those misplaced consonants - and vowels - they make me quite nauseous.)
LOL and which ones were misplaced? Blame it on poor educational standards when I was a nipper (or on the fact that my finger tips hit 3 or 4 keys at a time).
englishangel wrote:
As I have partaken of an evening bottle of South Africa's finest white (I had fish for dinner) I am in no state to comment.

What is the difference between an evening bottle and one made in daytime? French is better as all our guests have learned (at the cost of their livers - and no reference to girls from Liverpool)
Jude wrote: You are sort of my age, have a bit of humour - but how can we cross fertilise????
1. you are young enough to be my daugher, sort of. Grand - daughter would be possible but pushing it
2. humour - against my religion. You didn't have to listen to the Rev Pullen, whilst the religion I got from the other CH Rev. was beer. Humour wasn't in the syllabus though Messrs Jones and Kit did get the humors sometimes.
3. cross fertilise?? I'm not sure I have the answer to that. See 1 above
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I meant the vowels and consonants in your handle. I was having enough trouble woth 'normal' English without attempting a lot of is and js.

I don't usually drink South African wine (or white come to that) I prefer Australian red.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:I meant the vowels and consonants in your handle. I was having enough trouble woth 'normal' English without attempting a lot of is and js.
It's not hard, really - if you are a Yorkshireman/woman or a Swede and can understand it. Taken to mail.
englishangel wrote: I don't usually drink South African wine (or white come to that) I prefer Australian red.
Again, I'm sure our local reds would be more than the equal in taste but at 65 pence a bottle ........ At least ours are the true taste and not blended as many Australasian wines are.

OK if you are happy with that but I prefer to visit the 40+ vignerons, taste their offerings and make my own choice each year. Trouble, with 4 to 6 wines per domaine it takes a bit of time to go round and back to the first ones because you have forgotten what the first hundred taste like.

(Subsequent addition - we do not take our guests to all the domaines - we have some pity on their livers and kidneys).

David :partyman: :drinkers: :partyman: :vom:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:
englishangel wrote:I meant the vowels and consonants in your handle. I was having enough trouble woth 'normal' English without attempting a lot of is and js.
It's not hard, really - if you are a Yorkshireman/woman or a Swede and can understand it. Taken to mail.
englishangel wrote: I don't usually drink South African wine (or white come to that) I prefer Australian red.
Again, I'm sure our local reds would be more than the equal in taste but at 65 pence a bottle ........ At least ours are the true taste and not blended as many Australasian wines are.

OK if you are happy with that but I prefer to visit the 40+ vignerons, taste their offerings and make my own choice each year. Trouble, with 4 to 6 wines per domaine it takes a bit of time to go round and back to the first ones because you have forgotten what the first hundred taste like.

(Subsequent addition - we do not take our guests to all the domaines - we have some pity on their livers and kidneys).

David :partyman: :drinkers: :partyman: :vom:
So would I.