Old Blues who have recently graduated - are they alienated?

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Old Blues who have recently graduated - are they alienated?

Post by Great Plum »

i've been thinking about this for a while.

Is my age group (namely the 21 - 30+) the one not currently catered for by Old Blue Associations etc...

The Old Blue network generally does a great job for those at uni, giving carreers advice etc...

Obviously at the other end of the scale, many older Old Blues meet at many functions etc...

However, there are relatively few people who have left university and are in their 20's and 30's who go to these functions - see the pictures of the silver haired OB's in the Blue...

So what can be done?

I think many of my contemporaries would find it unerving to go to a section dinner etc just due to the gap in age -maybe there ought to be a recruitment of younger members into these sections.

Dinners like the Founder's Day Dinner have a huge price tag attached - £85 is too much money to justify for a nice meal when you are 'starting' out...

I think the recent event in Jamie's Bar was good (by all accounts, although I wasn't there!) but I think there need to be many more.

What does everyone else think?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Sara Voice talked to all the Grecians on Sunday evening - I think it is realised that the YOBS are a bit "alienated" and I think she is trying to address the issue.
I think it may be not so easy for YOBs to get together, particularly during uni term times - lots seem to manage to make it on Bax night which is at the start of summer hols for most.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

For what it's worth, after I left C.H. we used to organise informal gatherings in various pubs etc. These would usually consist of people who had been your mates at school.

'Formal' gatherings weren't really on the agenda perhaps, I suppose, because you didn't want to end up in a pub with a group of blokes you either didn't particularly know (or possibly didn't like) at school.

The comment about events such as the Founder's Day Dinner is correct. I'm sure that a smattering of Old Blues from all age groups attend these things, but looking at the photo in The Old Blue you could easily form the opinion that you're not allowed in until you're 50, or quite possibly 60!

I would say that there are still relatively few people from MY age group who go to these events, let alone YOBs.

As for the regional sections, I wouldn't know as I've never been to any of them. Quite a few of them seem to hold lunches on weekdays, which is probably OK for those who are retired, or self-employed types give can give themselves the afternoon off, but not much good for those who work and have a 1 hour lunch break.

I think that these sections need to be engaging with Grecians so that the're aware of what's on offer and how they could become involved, and this could be a very useful function of Old Blues Day.

DavebytheSea probably has some ideas about this, as the Cornwall section seem to be quite active.

As Mrs.C. points out, Sara and the C.H.A. would seem to be on the case, and will no doubt be reading this thread, but if you have your own proposals you should probably let them be known.

This forum's not a bad place to chuck a few ideas around, either.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Sara has found a couple of current Grecians who are willing to act as "social reps" for their year group - updating email addresses etc. I`m sure that once people leave they move around a lot and don`t always keep the same email -. The intention is, I think, to get everyone to keep the reps up-to-date with where they are, and they in turn can notify CHA, who will then be able to contact people about social events.

As Richard says, most recent OBs tend to meet up with mates , but do not necessarily wish to meet up with people they didn`t know all that well - although having the 2 Grecians houses should mean that more leavers know each other better than pre- Grecians Houses.

I can also totally understand Simon`s point - sometimes it`s easier to put a bit of time and space between your school life and your "working" life - and then meet up with others when you have something to talk about apart from schooldays. Mates will probably stay in touch whatever CHA does or doesn`t do - its a matter of getting a few groups of friends together.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I am pleased that much work has been done getting recent Grecains and leavers to join in - but maybe there needs to be a second 'push' for when people leave uni etc...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

Hmmm

Post by Jolyon »

One of the things about recent leavers is that we have a tendancy to be all over the place for a few years. What with years off, travelling and university all over the country it isnt easy. Also, speaking for myself at least, all my social funds were sunk into university and the people/events there for a few years. Also I agree with the privious comment about the aspect of "so what are you doing now" questions being a slight fear factor.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

when I left CH (Herts) I went back for the first couple of years - then everything changed - 5's had a bash at Horsham, which I attended, but it wasn't the same. I have not been back to any OB things since... am no longer in my 20's or 30's, however, I did joint the Bath and West Old blues - and went to 2 dinners with them in Bath - I was not only the only female at one event, but junior by about 100 years. So I quit that too.

So it's not just new YOBS - it's those of us who are in the middle too - by the time you have got to the point of being a silver haired grandpa, retiered and made a bit, you can afford to go to all these functions (your wife can't wait until the the next one and encourages you!) (OK - assumption your honour)

I live the wrong side of the country to join up with a few of you - and I really would have liked to meet you - but Glos is sort of the otehrside of the world almost!

I think YOBS will have to do what all post school kids do - keep in touch during term time with their mates, meet up for mad camping etc when they come home, and if they feel the need = then write something in here.

Alternatively - if one has time - how about a YOBS website?
Last edited by Jude on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I looked at the picture of the Herts and Beds OB lunch (which meets alternate months I believe) and although I am now into my fifth decade I still felt young compared to them. I would probably enjoy it though. Look at how we get on on here.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I think Julian and Simon should most definitely host a "Meet the Forum Members" event at the next Parents /Old Blues Day!! (Members only enclosure, forum ID name tags...!!)

Having met, or having already known quite a few, I think it`d be fun!

How about it??
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Thank you Mary!

I just felt very out of place!
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Mrs C. wrote:I think Julian and Simon should most definitely host a "Meet the Forum Members" event at the next Parents /Old Blues Day!! (Members only enclosure, forum ID name tags...!!)

How about it??
Do you think we should have a secret handshake? :lol:
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

.... possibly......
or just a password ??!! "keep taking the tablets", "I`ll just get my coat"......... spring to mind!!!!
:D :D
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Jude wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:I think Julian and Simon should most definitely host a "Meet the Forum Members" event at the next Parents /Old Blues Day!! (Members only enclosure, forum ID name tags...!!)

How about it??
Do you think we should have a secret handshake? :lol:
Some might require paper bags for the sake of anonymity ..
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

... issued by security at the gates.....!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:
Jude wrote:

How about it??
Do you think we should have a secret handshake?n :lol:
Some might require paper bags for the sake of anonymity ..
I thought you had other uses for paper bags.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"